State avoids floods, but threat remainsJune 29,2013Vermont officials who were monitoring potential flooding are standing down.
Fears that heavy rains could cause damaging flooding across Vermont less than two years after Tropical Storm Irene turned out to be unfounded Friday morning.
The state reported that all state roads were open and no local road closures were reported.
The storm that officials feared would dump up to four inches of rain on parts of Vermont instead tracked west, causing damage in areas of central New York and in the Adirondacks.
In New York, severe flooding was reported Friday in the Mohawk Valley and the Mohawk River overflowed its banks about 60 miles east of Syracuse..MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.