Richard W. KeoughJune 29,2013
Richard W. KeoughRichard W. Keough
ARLINGTON — Richard William Keough, 71, died June 26, 2013.
He was born May 30, 1942, in Bennington, the son of Michael J. and Clara Keough.
He was a life-long resident of Arlington, and married Joanne King on Oct. 2, 1965.
He received his education in the Arlington School District and then attended and graduated from Bennington Catholic High School in 1960. He later received a degree from the Royal Barber School in Schenectady, N.Y.
He owned and operated several local businesses, including Keough’s Barber Shop, Dick’s Rubbish Removal, and the Chippenhook General Store. He retired in December of 2005 from Bennington Sports and Graphics.
He was a member of Christ Our Savior Parish of Arlington.
He served as a school board member, iustice of the peace, and delinquent tax collector for the town of Arlington. He also served as president of the Arlington Fire Department, Little League, Arlington Park and Recreation Booster Club, and was a member of the Arlington Lions Club. He was also a trustee of the Bennington Elks Lodge # 567.
He enjoyed hunting, fishing, bowling and golf.
Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Joanne Keough of Bennington; a son Matthew Keough of Whitehall, N.Y.; two daughters, Susan Jennings of Arlington, and Stacey Keough of Irmo, S.C.; five grandchildren; a sister Dorothy Nellis of New York; and several nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by a brother Michael J. Keough II, and four sisters, Patricia Keough, Marjorie Kisselback, Marion Bahan and Beatrice Mattison.
The funeral will be held at Christ Our Savior Catholic Church on Route 7A in Arlington on Saturday, June 29, 2013, at 11 a.m. where the Liturgy of Christian Death and Burial will be offered by the Rev. Thomas Mattison.
Burial will follow in St. Columban’s Cemetery in Arlington.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Arlington Fire Department, Arlington Rescue Squad or the Bennington Elks Club, through the office of the Mahar and Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.