ST. ALBANS — Vermont State Police arrested a Missouri man early Friday morning after raiding a suspected methamphetamine lab in an apartment in St. Albans.
Travis Clemmons, 30, of St. Louis pleaded not guilty Friday to a charge of conspiracy to manufacture the drug.
The office of the Franklin County state’s attorney is prosecuting the case.
The arrest came after the Vermont Drug Task Force removed chemicals used in making methamphetamine from an apartment on Thursday, authorities said.
No one was home at the time.
The site was rendered safe by a state hazardous materials team and the state police Clandestine Laboratory Team.
Police learned Thursday night that Clemmons had been staying at a hotel in St. Albans, but he left before police arrived, authorities said. He was found at 1:40 a.m. Friday hiding in a drainage ditch near the hotel and arraigned later in the day, police said.
He is being held on $150,000 bail at the Northwest State Correctional Facility in St. Albans.
The investigating is ongoing, police said.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — New management plans for a vast section of Vermont’s remote Northeast Kingdom — an... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.