Stun gun critics seek statewide standardsJune 27,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — Advocates for people with disabilities say Vermont has failed to come up with a statewide policy and training on police use of stun guns in the more than a year after a 39-year-old Thetford man was killed by one.
Representatives of Vermont Legal Aid and the American Civil Liberties Union joined three lawmakers in speaking out on the issue at the Statehouse a year and a week after Macadam Mason’s death.
Mason, who had epilepsy and a psychiatric disability, died after being hit in the chest by a Taser used by State Police Senior Trooper David Shaffer, whom Attorney General William Sorrell later cleared of any wrong doing.
Speakers at Thursday’s news conference said they support legislation saying they support legislation calling for statewide standards and accountability for Taser use.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.