Teen facing felony for giving drugs to minorBy ERIC FRANCIS
CORRESPONDENT | June 27,2013WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield teenager is facing felony charges that he gave prescription Percocet to a 15-year-old girl before dropping her off at Springfield High School earlier this month.
Kevin Morin, 18, pleaded innocent Monday to two counts of felony delivering drugs to a minor and to misdemeanor charges of possessing narcotics and petty larceny.
Three white pills were discovered on June 5 when the girl’s purse was searched by the assistant principal and the school nurse. Court records said the girl had brought prescription drugs to school “on multiple occasions” and had once overdosed at school.
Police said the school nurse used markings on the pills to identify them as Percocet, a variant of the addictive opiate drug Oxycontin.
Police said Morin acknowledged taking the pills from a prescription bottle belonging to an older relative. Morin insisted he had given the girl the pills because “she wasn’t feeling well and he wanted to help her,” police said.
Morin faces up to 12 years in prison if he is convicted.MORE IN Southern VermontIn honor of the sesquicentennial of the end of the Civil War, Brattleboro veterans are putting... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.