Drug charges net jail timeJune 26,2013A Rutland woman will serve less than two years in prison after pleading guilty to federal charges of conspiring to sell heroin and crack cocaine.
Darlene Palmer, 45, received a 20-month sentence from U.S. District Court Judge J. Gavin Murtha, who also ordered Palmer to undergo three years of supervision upon her release from prison.
According to court records, Palmer conspired with Annette Rider, 45, of Rutland, to distribute heroin and crack in Rutland during the spring of 2011. During that time, the Vermont Drug Task Force made several controlled purchases from Palmer and Rider. In August, a grand jury returned an indictment charging the two with conspiracy and several counts of distribution.
In September, Palmer and Rider were arrested by the Drug Task Force and the Drug Enforcement Administration. Initially released on conditions, Palmer has been detained since October for violating her conditions of release.
Rider is scheduled for sentencing on August 26.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.