Drug charges net jail timeJune 26,2013A Rutland woman will serve less than two years in prison after pleading guilty to federal charges of conspiring to sell heroin and crack cocaine.
Darlene Palmer, 45, received a 20-month sentence from U.S. District Court Judge J. Gavin Murtha, who also ordered Palmer to undergo three years of supervision upon her release from prison.
According to court records, Palmer conspired with Annette Rider, 45, of Rutland, to distribute heroin and crack in Rutland during the spring of 2011. During that time, the Vermont Drug Task Force made several controlled purchases from Palmer and Rider. In August, a grand jury returned an indictment charging the two with conspiracy and several counts of distribution.
In September, Palmer and Rider were arrested by the Drug Task Force and the Drug Enforcement Administration. Initially released on conditions, Palmer has been detained since October for violating her conditions of release.
Rider is scheduled for sentencing on August 26.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.