Man accused of neglecting 11-year-oldJune 26,2013Man denies neglect of 11-year-old
BENNINGTON — A local man is being held on $5,000 bail after police said he neglected a developmentally-disabled, wheelchair-bound child who a doctor said was “critically ill.”
Ralph Brown, 44, of Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to a person in the care of another.
In an affidavit, Detective Anthony Silvestro, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was told about the child on April 19. At the time, the child was a patient at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire.
The child was taken to the emergency room of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington on April 17 and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock because he was hypoglycemic, dehydrated and in respiratory distress.
Brown, who had custody of the child from April 8 to April 17, told police he knew the child had been sick during that period. He also told Silvestro that he regretted not taking the child to see a doctor.
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, an evaluation of the child was done and a resulting report found there was evidence of possible maltreatment and neglect because of poor hygiene, pressure ulcers and the dehydration.
Brown, who is currently being held in the Springfield jail was ordered on Monday not to provide care for any child younger than 18.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.