Man accused of neglecting 11-year-oldJune 26,2013Man denies neglect of 11-year-old
BENNINGTON — A local man is being held on $5,000 bail after police said he neglected a developmentally-disabled, wheelchair-bound child who a doctor said was “critically ill.”
Ralph Brown, 44, of Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to a person in the care of another.
In an affidavit, Detective Anthony Silvestro, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was told about the child on April 19. At the time, the child was a patient at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire.
The child was taken to the emergency room of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington on April 17 and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock because he was hypoglycemic, dehydrated and in respiratory distress.
Brown, who had custody of the child from April 8 to April 17, told police he knew the child had been sick during that period. He also told Silvestro that he regretted not taking the child to see a doctor.
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, an evaluation of the child was done and a resulting report found there was evidence of possible maltreatment and neglect because of poor hygiene, pressure ulcers and the dehydration.
Brown, who is currently being held in the Springfield jail was ordered on Monday not to provide care for any child younger than 18.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.