Man accused of neglecting 11-year-oldJune 26,2013Man denies neglect of 11-year-old
BENNINGTON — A local man is being held on $5,000 bail after police said he neglected a developmentally-disabled, wheelchair-bound child who a doctor said was “critically ill.”
Ralph Brown, 44, of Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to a person in the care of another.
In an affidavit, Detective Anthony Silvestro, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was told about the child on April 19. At the time, the child was a patient at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire.
The child was taken to the emergency room of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington on April 17 and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock because he was hypoglycemic, dehydrated and in respiratory distress.
Brown, who had custody of the child from April 8 to April 17, told police he knew the child had been sick during that period. He also told Silvestro that he regretted not taking the child to see a doctor.
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, an evaluation of the child was done and a resulting report found there was evidence of possible maltreatment and neglect because of poor hygiene, pressure ulcers and the dehydration.
Brown, who is currently being held in the Springfield jail was ordered on Monday not to provide care for any child younger than 18.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.