Man accused of neglecting 11-year-oldJune 26,2013Man denies neglect of 11-year-old
BENNINGTON — A local man is being held on $5,000 bail after police said he neglected a developmentally-disabled, wheelchair-bound child who a doctor said was “critically ill.”
Ralph Brown, 44, of Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to a person in the care of another.
In an affidavit, Detective Anthony Silvestro, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was told about the child on April 19. At the time, the child was a patient at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire.
The child was taken to the emergency room of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington on April 17 and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock because he was hypoglycemic, dehydrated and in respiratory distress.
Brown, who had custody of the child from April 8 to April 17, told police he knew the child had been sick during that period. He also told Silvestro that he regretted not taking the child to see a doctor.
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, an evaluation of the child was done and a resulting report found there was evidence of possible maltreatment and neglect because of poor hygiene, pressure ulcers and the dehydration.
Brown, who is currently being held in the Springfield jail was ordered on Monday not to provide care for any child younger than 18.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.