Man accused of neglecting 11-year-oldJune 26,2013Man denies neglect of 11-year-old
BENNINGTON — A local man is being held on $5,000 bail after police said he neglected a developmentally-disabled, wheelchair-bound child who a doctor said was “critically ill.”
Ralph Brown, 44, of Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to a person in the care of another.
In an affidavit, Detective Anthony Silvestro, of the Bennington Police Department, said he was told about the child on April 19. At the time, the child was a patient at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire.
The child was taken to the emergency room of the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center in Bennington on April 17 and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock because he was hypoglycemic, dehydrated and in respiratory distress.
Brown, who had custody of the child from April 8 to April 17, told police he knew the child had been sick during that period. He also told Silvestro that he regretted not taking the child to see a doctor.
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, an evaluation of the child was done and a resulting report found there was evidence of possible maltreatment and neglect because of poor hygiene, pressure ulcers and the dehydration.
Brown, who is currently being held in the Springfield jail was ordered on Monday not to provide care for any child younger than 18.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.