Woman ID’d as victim in fatalityJune 26,2013Woman identified
as victim in fatality
AMSDEN — Vermont State Police have identified the victim of a fatal crash involving a car and a motorcycle on Route 131.
Jennifer Bixby, 33, of Springfield died of injuries suffered in the crash Friday night. She was a passenger on a motorcycle operated by Jeremy Desmarais, 39, also of Springfield.
Both Bixby and Desmarais were taken to Springfield Hospital, where Bixby died from her injuries, Desmarais suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries, according to police.
The driver of the car, Paul Cooper, 59, of Windham, N.H., was not injured in the crash. Police said Desmarais was westbound and Cooper eastbound at the time of the accident, which happened on a curve on Route 131.
Police delayed releasing the name of the dead woman while family members were notified.
Police said alcohol was not a factor in the crash, which is still under investigation.MORE IN This Just InHAVANA — Daniela Martinez long figured that someday she would leave the struggles of daily life... Full StoryPESHAWAR, Pakistan — Six militants were killed in a U.S. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.