Deal close in pedestrian death caseJune 25,2013BENNINGTON — A lawyer representing an 86-year-old North Bennington woman who is facing a felony charge after a crash in which she hit and killed a 79-year-old pedestrian on Jan. 26 in North Bennington said he expects the case will resolve in about 30 days with “modest supervision” for the woman.
Georgianna Carter, 86, of North Bennington, was arraigned in Bennington criminal court in April on a felony charge of grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle resulting in a fatality.
Police said Henry Chalifoux, 79, of North Bennington, died on Jan. 26 after being hit by a car driven by Carter.
Carter was charged because police believe she should have been able to avoid hitting Chalifoux given the speed at which she was driving, the clear weather and the lack of obstructions in the road.
At a hearing in the case in the case in Bennington criminal court Monday, Frederick Bragdon, who represents Carter, said he believed he and the state were close to reaching an agreement that would resolve the case.
Bragdon said he expected Carter would be under “modest supervision in the community” because of the age of his client.
The case is expected to be back in court for a settlement conference in about 30 days.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Josh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Full StoryWHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Royalton man denied charges that he pointed a gun at a woman and her... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.