UVM student crowned Miss VermontJune 24,2013UVM student wins Miss Vermont
SOUTH BURLINGTON — A 22-year-old University of Vermont student has been crowned Miss Vermont.
Jeanelle Achee of Rochester won the 2013 title Saturday night in a competition at South Burlington High School.
For her win, Achee receives more than $9,000 in scholarships and $12,000 in prizes. She also gets the opportunity to compete for the Miss America title in Atlantic City, N.J., in September.
During her year as Miss Vermont, Achee will travel across the state advocating for victims of sexual violence and promoting healthy relationships.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.