UVM student crowned Miss VermontJune 24,2013UVM student wins Miss Vermont
SOUTH BURLINGTON — A 22-year-old University of Vermont student has been crowned Miss Vermont.
Jeanelle Achee of Rochester won the 2013 title Saturday night in a competition at South Burlington High School.
For her win, Achee receives more than $9,000 in scholarships and $12,000 in prizes. She also gets the opportunity to compete for the Miss America title in Atlantic City, N.J., in September.
During her year as Miss Vermont, Achee will travel across the state advocating for victims of sexual violence and promoting healthy relationships.MORE IN This Just InThe cameras appearing atop some city intersections are a new trigger system for the traffic signals. Full StoryA Hubbardton man charged with murdering two electricians who came to his rental home in February ... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.