Police: Brother told river rope swing was bad ideaThe Associated Press | June 21,2013HANOVER - Police say a 20-year-old man who drowned in the Connecticut River during a Dartmouth College senior week party couldn't swim and was trying to land in shallow water when he used a rope swing.
Police said Ernest Amoh of Ghana had just finished his freshman year at Trinity University in Texas. He was in Hanover to celebrate the pending graduation of his brother from Dartmouth.
The Valley News reported that police said the brothers had taken a canoe with some friends to the river on June 5.
Everyone except Amoh had taken turns on the swing when they realized other students had taken the canoe back toward Hanover. As they waited for another canoe, Amoh told his brother, Justice, he wanted to try out the trapeze rope swing.
Justice Amoh "told his brother it was a bad idea, but that his brother said he would just land in the shallow area," Hanover Police Officer Nenia Corcoran said in the report.
Justice Amoh said he saw his brother's hands come back above the water, but then he disappeared. Efforts to save him failed.
Ernest Amoh's body was found the next day in about 18 feet of water.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.