Teen faces charges of giving drugs to a minorJune 19,2013Teen charged with giving student pills
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield teenager faces felony charges after he allegedly gave prescription Percocet pills to a younger friend.
Kevin Morin, 18, pleaded innocent Monday to two counts of felony drug delivery to a minor and to accompanying misdemeanor charges of possession of narcotics and petty larceny.
Three white pills identified as Percocet were discovered on June 5 when the assistant principal and school nurse at Springfield High School searched a 15-year-old girl’s purse. Police said the search was a daily routine because the girl had brought prescription medication to school previously and had once overdosed while in school.
The girl told school officials she thought the pills were ibuprofen and that Morin gave them to her because she was feeling ill, police said.
Morin admitted taking the pills from a relative’s prescription bottle, police said, and the relative determined that more than 50 Percocet pills were missing.
Percocet is prescribed for moderate to severe pain.
Morin faces up to 12 years in prison if convicted of the charges.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,