Police probe shooting, stabbing in DanbyJune 17,2013By Josh O'Gorman
Vermont State Police responded Sunday night to a reported shooting and stabbing in Danby.
The incident was first reported around 7:30 p.m. on John Corey Road. According to scanner reports, a man had been shot in the leg and a woman had been stabbed.
Police at the scene declined to comment on the incident, but a police report released early this morning said that a man found at the scene was suffering from "gunshot wounds" and a woman was suffering from "stabbing wounds". Both of them were transported to Rutland Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Scanner reports indicated that police tried to get a medical helicopter to fly to the scene from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H., or Albany (N.Y.) Medical Center. However, due to weather conditions a helicopter could not fly to the scene.
At least one person injured was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center by ambulance with a police escort.
John Corey Road is about one mile from Danby Four Corners. Police had yellow crime scene tape across a driveway leading up to the home.
The home is set back about 100 yards from the road.
Officers could be seen investigating and snapping photographs as the sun set.
A constable from Pawlet also responded to the scene as well as firefighting personnel from Danby and emergency responders from Wallingford and Manchester.
A gathering of bystanders watched at the end of the driveway as police investigated.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.