Police probe shooting, stabbing in DanbyJune 17,2013By Josh O'Gorman
Vermont State Police responded Sunday night to a reported shooting and stabbing in Danby.
The incident was first reported around 7:30 p.m. on John Corey Road. According to scanner reports, a man had been shot in the leg and a woman had been stabbed.
Police at the scene declined to comment on the incident, but a police report released early this morning said that a man found at the scene was suffering from "gunshot wounds" and a woman was suffering from "stabbing wounds". Both of them were transported to Rutland Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Scanner reports indicated that police tried to get a medical helicopter to fly to the scene from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H., or Albany (N.Y.) Medical Center. However, due to weather conditions a helicopter could not fly to the scene.
At least one person injured was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center by ambulance with a police escort.
John Corey Road is about one mile from Danby Four Corners. Police had yellow crime scene tape across a driveway leading up to the home.
The home is set back about 100 yards from the road.
Officers could be seen investigating and snapping photographs as the sun set.
A constable from Pawlet also responded to the scene as well as firefighting personnel from Danby and emergency responders from Wallingford and Manchester.
A gathering of bystanders watched at the end of the driveway as police investigated.MORE IN This Just InBy George V. Nostrand Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Julius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor, Venus Genetrix; on this day in 1933, FBI agents in Memphis, Tennessee, arrest Machine Gun Kelly; Yves Rossi flies the English Channel with home-made jet-pack.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1852, Henri Giffard demonstrates the first steam-powered airship, sailing 17 miles from Paris to Trappes; on this day in 1877, Japanese imperial troops crush the Satsuma Rebellion, Saigo Takamori dies in Kagoshima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: U.S. Rep. Peter Welch meets with Killington business owners, governor candidates debate, Gov. Shumlin discusses progress in anti-opiate campaign, Spanos trial venue moves to White River Junction.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1776, as Nathan Hale is hanged by British military authorities for spying, he utters his famous last words — or does he? In 1975, Sara Jane Moore attempts to kill President Gerald R. Ford in San Francisco.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Patrick McArdle reports and the theft of an $89,000 shotgun, police release a video of the Monday Castleton robbery, O'Gorman reports a lawsuit by a local man claiming his vehicle unlawfully seized, police leave him in cold.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.