Police probe shooting, stabbing in DanbyJune 16,2013By Josh O’Gorman
Vermont State Police responded Sunday night to a reported shooting and stabbing in Danby.
The incident was first reported around 7:30 p.m. on John Corey Road. According to scanner reports, a man had been shot in the leg and a woman had been stabbed.
The conditions of the two people injured were not available at press time.
Police at the scene declined to comment on the incident.
Scanner reports indicated that police tried to get a medical helicopter to fly to the scene from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H., or Albany (N.Y.) Medical Center. However, due to weather conditions a helicopter could not fly to the scene.
At least one person injured was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center by ambulance with a police escort.
John Corey Road is about one mile from Danby Four Corners. Police had yellow crime scene tape across a driveway leading up to the home.
The home is set back about 100 yards from the road.
Officers could be seen investigating and snapping photographs as the sun set.
A constable from Pawlet also responded to the scene as well as firefighting personnel from Danby and emergency responders from Wallingford and Manchester.
A gathering of bystanders watched at the end of the driveway as police investigated.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.