Woman wins discrimination suitJune 15,2013Woman wins
MONTPELIER — A Vermont woman has won a lawsuit saying she was discriminated against by her employer based on her gender and age.
The federal court ruled that because a man can negotiate a higher salary than a woman, that doesn’t mean a salary difference is justified.
The Burlington Free Press reported that Wendie Dreves of Grand Isle, who managed the Hudson News retail store at the Burlington International Airport, successfullysued the Hudson Group.
U.S. District Court Judge William Sessions concluded that any gap in the pay of men and women “is an implicit statement to our children that we value the work of our daughters less than that of our sons.” He said it sends a message that Congress, the Vermont General Assembly, and Court reject.
— The Associated PressMORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.