Tours being offered of Vt. wind farmThe Associated Press | June 14,2013LOWELL - Green Mountain Power is offering public tours of its wind project in Lowell Mountain this summer.
They're booked for June; more tours are being offered in July and August.
A spokeswoman for the project said it's an opportunity to see and hear an operating wind farm, and learn how Green Mountain Power is making electricity for 24,000 Vermont homes.
The Caledonian-Record reported that the tours last about 90 minutes, and visitors will be able to get out near the base of two of the 21 turbines. Tours are being held most Wednesdays in July and August at 10 a.m. Saturday tours are being offered on July 27 and Aug. 31 at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.MORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.