Frederick A. Vahle RitesJune 13,2013Frederick A. Vahle Rites
The memorial service for Frederick A. Vahle, 66, of Orlando, Fla., and formerly of Rutland, who died May 15, 2013, in Orlando was held Tuesday, June 11, at St. Bridget’s Church in West Rutland.
The Rev. Vincent J. Coppola, pastor, officiated.
Organist was Angela Lundrigan.
Vocalist was Olivia Gawet.
Burial with military honors followed in St. Bridget’s Cemetery in West Rutland. The Rutland American Legion Post #31 Color Guard provided honors. Jim Burke presented the flag, Jim Mills sounded Taps, and John Manney and Ron Fairbanks were the rifle squad.
A reception followed in the church hall.
Arrangements were under the direction of the Durfee Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Gen. Wm. T. Sherman concludes March to the Sea, secures Savannah, Ga., offers the city as Christmas gift to Pres. Lincoln; N.Y.'s Lincoln Tunnel opens in 1937; first gorilla born in captivity, Colo, celebrates 58th birthday today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.