Beatrice H. ColeJune 12,2013Beatrice H. Cole
May 11, 1929 - June 9, 2013
MANCHESTER — Beatrice H. Cole passed away peacefully Sunday, June 9, 2013, surrounded by her family, after complications from surgery at Fletcher Allen Hospital.
Bea, Queen Bea, Mom, Gram, and Great Gram, as she was affectionately known by all who knew and loved her.
Mom lived her life with unselfish patience, and kindness.
She had many hobbies including sewing, needlework, and knitting mittens for everyone at Christmas. She loved bird-watching, especially hummingbirds, and was the first to spot them in the Spring.
She had a huge vegetable garden and beautiful flower beds, allowing her to enjoy fresh flowers on her table and over the kitchen sink. At the first sign of spring she would pick wildflowers from the woods surrounding her home. She loved the smell of lilacs, and peonies, always took a moment to stop and smell the flowers.
As with her cup of tea, it was important to her that you sit and enjoy the time with family and friends, never hurried or rushed.
Mom was a great baker and made delicious pies, cakes, rolls and biscuits, she always baked a scratch cake for our birthdays. She was a great listener and listened to all of us with patience and kindness. Mom was strong and never let life get her down. Before macular degeneration took her sight, Mom loved to read and continued her love of books by listening to them on tape.
She was a huge fan of professional tennis, from John McEnroe to Roger Federer, she watched, listened to every Open with delight.
Most of all, Mom loved her family and was the best Mom, Mother-in-law, Gram, ever ... and will be missed dearly.
Bea was predeceased by her son Raymond, 10-6-1997, and husband Everett, 11-9-2004.
She leaves her sons, Leslie Cole and Barbara of Manchester, Laramie and Tanya of Wheatland, WY, and Spencer and Mia of Manchester; her daughters, Arlene Hodge and Erwin of Londonderry, Audrey Roberts and Bob of Bondville, Melanie Kent and Frank of Dorset, Maisie Kilburn and Dan of Manchester, and Natalie Macksey and John of Arlington, VT. She had 16 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.
There will be a celebration of Bea’s life at the Eagles Club in Manchester, VT, on Thursday, June 13, 2013, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.