City car crash damages houseMay 22,2013Car crash
A car crash at the intersection of Forest and South streets in Rutland damaged a home when one of the cars careened into the porch.
Two children in one of the vehicles were taken to the hospital for examination, according to city police.
Police say two cars crashed in the intersection at around 9:30 p.m. Sunday. One of the drivers, 26-year-old Bethany Thompson of Rutland, failed to yield to another car already in the intersection driven by 29-year-old Sheila Nichols of Rutland, according to police.
When the two vehicles collided, Nicholsí sandals reportedly became stuck to the pedal and she was unable to stop the car before it struck the porch of the house at 101 Forest St. The damage to the structure was described as significant with more than $2,000 worth of repairs estimated by the homeowner.
Police said two children ages 3 and 8 who were riding in the backseat of Thompsonís car were taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center after the crash.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.