Bennington school budget defeatedMay 22,2013BENNINGTON — The Bennington School District budget was defeated again Tuesday by a vote of 524-473.
The budget of $12,940,745 had been cut by more than $575,000 from the budget which was defeated in March.
That budget, $13,518,802, lost by a vote of 1,095-915.
In March, George Sleeman, vice-chairman of the Bennington School Board, said he thought the budget may have been defeated because it was an increase of about 19 percent from the previous year's budget of $11,360,113.
Sleeman said Tuesday that the latest budget, which was an increase of about 14 percent from the budget passed in 2012, might have still been too high.
“What we'll have to do is we'll have to call an immediate meeting of the (school board.) We'll try and meet, hopefully this week or the first of next week, and we'll review it and come up with a decision as to what we're going to do,” he said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.