NEWPORT — A Vermont woman who admitted that she had unlawful sexual encounters with a 14-year-old boy will spend at least 10 year on the sex-offender registry.
Michelle Deaette of Newport pleaded guilty this week in Orleans County criminal court to several lewd conduct charges. The state dismissed a felony count of sexual assault on a minor less than 16 years of age.
The Caledonian-Record reported that the boy, who now lives in Florida, told investigators the 21-year-old Deaette had sex with him from mid-August to mid-September 2012.
Deaette was sentenced to 20 to 24 months, suspended except the 167 days she’s already served. She’ll be on probation for three years, during which time she must either complete her GED or earn her high school diploma.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.