Del. police arrest suspect in reputed smugglingThe Associated Press | May 18,2013DOVER, Del. — A man arrested in Delaware as part of the takedown of an alleged East Coast cigarette smuggling ring that may have funneled money to terrorist groups is being held on $12.5 million cash bail.
State police arrested Adel Abuzahrieh, 47, of Staten Island, N.Y., this week after a traffic stop on Route 1 near Milford. Police say they found 201 cases of cigarettes in the box truck he was driving and seized between $15,000 and $20,000 in cash.
Delaware State Police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack said Abuzahrieh was arrested by members of a DSP special operations response team who were alerted to his whereabouts.
Shavack said Abuzahrieh loaded up a 2007 Mitsubishi box truck with cigarettes stored at a facility in Selbyville and began driving north on Route 1. He was taken into custody without incident and arrested on a fugitive warrant from New York alleging “enterprise corruption,” Shavack said.
New York authorities allege Abuzahrieh is part of a smuggling ring that made a fortune selling more than a million cartons of untaxed cigarettes in New York and may have funneled some of the proceeds to terrorist groups.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.