Del. police arrest suspect in reputed smugglingThe Associated Press | May 18,2013DOVER, Del. — A man arrested in Delaware as part of the takedown of an alleged East Coast cigarette smuggling ring that may have funneled money to terrorist groups is being held on $12.5 million cash bail.
State police arrested Adel Abuzahrieh, 47, of Staten Island, N.Y., this week after a traffic stop on Route 1 near Milford. Police say they found 201 cases of cigarettes in the box truck he was driving and seized between $15,000 and $20,000 in cash.
Delaware State Police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack said Abuzahrieh was arrested by members of a DSP special operations response team who were alerted to his whereabouts.
Shavack said Abuzahrieh loaded up a 2007 Mitsubishi box truck with cigarettes stored at a facility in Selbyville and began driving north on Route 1. He was taken into custody without incident and arrested on a fugitive warrant from New York alleging “enterprise corruption,” Shavack said.
New York authorities allege Abuzahrieh is part of a smuggling ring that made a fortune selling more than a million cartons of untaxed cigarettes in New York and may have funneled some of the proceeds to terrorist groups.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.