MANILA, Philippines — What do you do when two candidates for mayor get exactly the same number of votes? You get them to toss a coin. Marvic Feraren and Boyet Py both received 3,236 votes for mayor of San Teodoro town in the Mindoro Oriental province of the Philippines in Monday’s elections. The Elections Commissions suggested the two men flip a coin five times each, which is allowed under the country’s Election Code to break a tie. Feraren won Tuesday, but not before a second round of coin flipping. They tied in the first round too.
— The Associated PressMORE IN Wire NewsAURORA, Colo. Full StoryMOSCOW — Russia on Wednesday angrily dismissed the EU’s warning that it wouldn’t recognize local... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.