AT&T restoring cell service to townMay 15,2013PUTNEY — Some AT&T cellphone customers in Putney could see their service restored after it was inadvertently cut during an upgrade in the southeastern Vermont community.
Gov. Peter Shumlin, who lives in Putney, said AT&T told him the Putney service for some customers was lost when the company ended a roaming agreement with Verizon for 2G service because it had completed work on its own towers that offered 3G and 4G capacity.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported the switchover caused some 2G customers to lose service on April 19.
Shumlin said he has been reassured by AT&T officials that the loss of service was an oversight and that the customers should see the restoration of coverage soon.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.