Nominees sought for teacher awardMay 15,2013Nominees sought
for teacher award
The Vermont Humanities Council is taking nominations for its Victor R. Swenson Humanities Educator Award.
The award, created in 2003, honors a Vermont teacher in grades 6-12 who “exemplifies excellence in the teaching of the humanities” and “inspires his or her students and encourages in them intellectual curiosity and a lifelong love of learning.”
VHC says, “The teacher should possess extraordinary knowledge, ability, and accomplishment in the teaching of language, literature, history, social studies, or other humanities fields.”
The council adds, “The educator should exhibit infectious enthusiasm for his or her subject and learning in general, and embody a commitment to the highest standards of achievement ...”
Any community member may make a nomination, including parents, coworkers, current and former students, and school administrators. Nominating letters are due at VHC’s Montpelier office by July 1.
The winner receives a $1,000 check and public recognition at VHC’s fall conference, scheduled for Nov. 16 at UVM’s Dudley Davis Center.
Last year’s winner was Gary Johnson of North Country Union High School in Newport. The first recipient of the award was Graham Newell of St. Johnsbury Academy.
The award is named for Victor Swenson, VHC’s first executive director.
To learn more, visit vermonthumanities.org.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.