PERKINSVILLE — Firefighters are still battling a house fire at the corner of Quarry and Sugar Lot Roads in Perkinsville. The cause of the fire has not been determined.
West Weathersfield Fire Chief Josh Dauphin said the blaze was reported around 1:45 p.m. and the fire was “fully involved” by the time fire departments arrived. The home belonged to Jen Congdon of Perkinsville.
As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, the fire had still not been extinguished, but the home has already been declared a total loss. No injuries were reported, but Congdon lost a dog, cat and a hamster in the blaze.
“I don't believe there is anything suspicious,” Dauphin said. “We're still trying to get to the seat of the fire but we're unable at this point. We're still trying to gain access into the building.”
The following fire departments are assisting at the scene: West Weathersfield, Ascutney, Windsor, Reading, Chester, Cavendish, Proctorsville, Springfield, Claremont, N.H. and Charlestown, N.H.
Woodstock Fire Department provided coverage at the West Weathersfield Fire Department.MORE IN Southern VermontBENNINGTON — Ask author and Bennington College graduate Charlotte Silver if the title of... Full StoryPresident Calvin Coolidge was remembered in all sorts of ways Saturday on the 143rd anniversary... Full StoryPresident Calvin Coolidge was remembered in all sorts of ways Saturday on the 143rd anniversary... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.