Vermont man goes to prison for 104 pounds of potBy LORI PILGER
Lincoln Journal Star | May 10,2013LINCOLN, Neb. — A Vermont man nabbed near Lincoln with more than 100 pounds of marijuana and a disassembled gun asked for probation but got prison time Thursday.
Nathaniel P. Miller, 26, of Jericho, Vt., said he really didn’t think about the consequences of his actions.
A Nebraska State Patrol trooper stopped him Sept. 3 near the Lincoln Airport exit for not having a front license plate. After Miller let troopers search his 2001 Dodge pickup, they found 104 pounds of marijuana in packages under the truck’s bed liner.
“I realize it was a terrible choice, and I want to be done with it,” Miller said Thursday.
His attorney, Lawrence Whelan, said Miller had been using marijuana since he was 16 and was acting as a mule Sept. 3. But the disassembled gun among Miller’s personal property in a camper was not part of the drug activity, he said, arguing for probation.
“I think this was a case where he saw an opportunity to make money, and he took that opportunity so he wouldn’t have to work,” Whelan said.
But Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Matt Acton said the amount of marijuana outweighed Miller’s lack of criminal history.
District Judge Jodi Nelson agreed, telling Miller he had made a business decision and must have known what could happen.
“If you get caught, you’re likely going to prison, and that’s what’s happening here,” she said.
She gave him four to six years, with credit for the 248 days he’s been in jail since his arrest.
Miller pleaded no contest to attempt to possess a firearm while in possession of marijuana.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.