Rash of burglaries prompts meeting in KillingtonMay 08,2013By Josh O'Gorman
KILLINGTON - The public is invited to attend a neighborhood watch meeting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Sherburne Memorial Library.
“It’s important for citizens to get involved as much as they can, when they can,” said Whit Montgomery, Killington’s first constable.
The town has seen seven burglaries in recent months, with six of the seven happening in second homes. Montgomery said six of the seven appear to be connected and asked the public to attend the meeting and to keep an eye out for suspicious activity.
“I just urge people to be vigilant and if they see something strange or out of place to not be afraid to pick up the phone and report it,” Montgomery said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.