Parents can learn to decrease ‘sceen time’May 07,2013Talk offers tips to parents
BENNINGTON — Southwestern Vermont Health Care is presenting an afternoon session which will provide parents with ways to connect with their children and reduce the family’s “screen time.”
Presented by Dr. Lynn Mann of Southwestern Vermont Medical Center Pediatrics; Maryann Morris, executive director of the Collaborative; and Lisa Kelly, founder of Unplugged, the free discussion will be on May 19, from 3 to 4 p.m. at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester.
Computers, televisions, smartphones, and video games have greatly increased the amount of time that children spend before a technology screen. This increased screen time can result in increased risks of obesity, behavioral challenges, decreased academic performance and a lower level of social interaction. The three presenters will share information on the impacts of screen time on children and ways parents can get unplugged and change the tide for the family.
The class is free, but registration is required and can be done through the Internet at the website at svhealthcare.org/events.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.