Parents can learn to decrease ‘sceen time’May 07,2013Talk offers tips to parents
BENNINGTON — Southwestern Vermont Health Care is presenting an afternoon session which will provide parents with ways to connect with their children and reduce the family’s “screen time.”
Presented by Dr. Lynn Mann of Southwestern Vermont Medical Center Pediatrics; Maryann Morris, executive director of the Collaborative; and Lisa Kelly, founder of Unplugged, the free discussion will be on May 19, from 3 to 4 p.m. at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester.
Computers, televisions, smartphones, and video games have greatly increased the amount of time that children spend before a technology screen. This increased screen time can result in increased risks of obesity, behavioral challenges, decreased academic performance and a lower level of social interaction. The three presenters will share information on the impacts of screen time on children and ways parents can get unplugged and change the tide for the family.
The class is free, but registration is required and can be done through the Internet at the website at svhealthcare.org/events.MORE IN This Just InThe Rutland County Sheriff’s Office agreed to transport Dennis Duby Jr. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.