Parents can learn to decrease ‘sceen time’May 07,2013Talk offers tips to parents
BENNINGTON — Southwestern Vermont Health Care is presenting an afternoon session which will provide parents with ways to connect with their children and reduce the family’s “screen time.”
Presented by Dr. Lynn Mann of Southwestern Vermont Medical Center Pediatrics; Maryann Morris, executive director of the Collaborative; and Lisa Kelly, founder of Unplugged, the free discussion will be on May 19, from 3 to 4 p.m. at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester.
Computers, televisions, smartphones, and video games have greatly increased the amount of time that children spend before a technology screen. This increased screen time can result in increased risks of obesity, behavioral challenges, decreased academic performance and a lower level of social interaction. The three presenters will share information on the impacts of screen time on children and ways parents can get unplugged and change the tide for the family.
The class is free, but registration is required and can be done through the Internet at the website at svhealthcare.org/events.MORE IN This Just InBy Erin Mansfield Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.