Parents can learn to decrease ‘sceen time’May 07,2013Talk offers tips to parents
BENNINGTON — Southwestern Vermont Health Care is presenting an afternoon session which will provide parents with ways to connect with their children and reduce the family’s “screen time.”
Presented by Dr. Lynn Mann of Southwestern Vermont Medical Center Pediatrics; Maryann Morris, executive director of the Collaborative; and Lisa Kelly, founder of Unplugged, the free discussion will be on May 19, from 3 to 4 p.m. at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester.
Computers, televisions, smartphones, and video games have greatly increased the amount of time that children spend before a technology screen. This increased screen time can result in increased risks of obesity, behavioral challenges, decreased academic performance and a lower level of social interaction. The three presenters will share information on the impacts of screen time on children and ways parents can get unplugged and change the tide for the family.
The class is free, but registration is required and can be done through the Internet at the website at svhealthcare.org/events.MORE IN This Just In(Editor’s note: This is the first in a five-part series looking into the investigation of... Full StoryMORETOWN — An invite into the Moretown home of Emily Johnson and Brian Mohr shows that they live... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.