Bennington school budget revote will be May 21May 02,2013By Patrick McArdle
BENNINGTON — After cutting its rejected budget by more than $575,000, the Bennington School Board approved on Wednesday a proposed budget of $12,940,745 to be put before voters on May 21.
Members of the Bennington School Board approved the budget proposal unanimously.
There will be an informational meeting about the budget on May 20 with the vote on the budget, to take place by Australian ballot, the next day. Voting will be at the Bennington fire facility, the same location as the vote in March.
During the Town Meeting Day vote, the Bennington School District budget, which was proposed at $13,518,802, was
rejected by a vote of 1,095-915. While several school budgets around Vermont were defeated this year, Bennington was the only budget defeated in Bennington County.
The Mount Anthony Union School District, which runs the middle and high schools in Bennington, was also defeated in Bennington but received enough support in the other towns it covers, North Bennington, Pownal, Shaftsbury and Woodford, to be passed.
The March budget proposal was an increase of $2,158,689, or 19 percent, over the $11,360,113 budget passed in
The budget proposal approved last night will be an increase of $1,580,632, or almost 14 percent, over the current budget.
The school board has cut $578,057 from the budget proposal defeated in March to reach the new proposed budget.MORE IN This Just InDorset Theatre Festival, in planning its 2015 season of professional theater at the Dorset... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown