School budget passes 2nd timeMay 01,2013MIDDLETOWN SPRINGS — By a 158 to 130 vote, residents approved a budget for the Middletown Springs School District.
Voters approved a budget of $1,994,899 for fiscal year 2013-14, an increase of $58,276, or 3 percent, compared to the current budget of $1,936,623.
“It was a much larger difference than I was expecting, but it really shows the community support we have for the school,” said Kendra Larson, vice-chairwoman of the Middletown Springs School Board.
It was the second trip to the polls for Middletown Springs voters, who, on Town Meeting Day, defeated a proposed budget of $1,998,890, which was an increase of $62,267, or 3.2-percent.
Despite the increase in the budget, the tax rate is projected to drop 2 cents, from $1.64 to $1.62, due in part to the town’s common level of appraisal rising from 91.2 percent to 95.85 percent.
— Staff reports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.