THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
AVONDALE, La. — Lucas Glover increased his lead to two strokes in the Zurich Classic to remain in position for his first victory in two years.
The 2009 U.S. Open winner shot a 2-under 70 on Saturday to reach 14 under at TPC Louisiana.
Kyle Stanley, Jimmy Walker, Billy Horschel and D.A. Points were tied for second. Stanley had a 65, Walker and Horschel shot 66, and Points had a 70.
Guan Tianlang, the 14-year-old Chinese amateur, shot a 77 to drop to 2 over — last among the 71 players who made the cut. He tied for 58th two weeks ago in the Masters after becoming the youngest player to make the cut at Augusta National, and will play in a U.S. Open qualifier in two weeks in Dallas.
Kevin Stadler was 11 under after a 65 — matching Stanley for the best round of the day.
Boo Weekley, a stroke behind Glover entering the round, salvaged a 73 with a two-putt birdie on the 18th to finish at 10 under.
Ernie Els, who entered the day in a tie for fifth, also shot 72 to drop to a tie for 17th at 8 under.
Bubba Watson, the 201 winner, was 6 under after a 72.
Glover birdied the eighth and ninth holes to get to 14 under, and opened a three-stroke lead at 15 under with a short birdie putt on the par-5 11th. But he failed to make par from the fringe on the par-3 14th to drop back to 14 under. He missed a 10-foot eagle putt on the 18th hole and tapped in for birdie.
The players will be grouped in threesomes and will tee off early because of expected stormy weather Sunday on the course already softened by heavy rain Wednesday.MORE IN Wire SportsDENVER — Next up for Peyton Manning: the NFL passing yardage record. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.