Former caregiver accused of fraudApril 26,2013Former caregiver accused of fraud
BRATTLEBORO — A former caregiver for an elderly Vermont couple has been accused of defrauding them by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account.
Jamie Gene Thompson pleaded innocent in federal court in Brattleboro on Thursday. He was indicted by a grand jury in February.
Thompson became a live-in care provider for a couple in Charlotte in 2010. He provided medical and physical assistance and transportation. He also handled some of the couple’s finances.
The indictment says that between September and October 2012, Thompson allegedly defrauded the couple by using their credit card to make about $9,000 in unauthorized purchases. He also allegedly made about $46,000 in unauthorized withdrawals from the investment account.
Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.