Former caregiver accused of fraudApril 26,2013Former caregiver accused of fraud
BRATTLEBORO — A former caregiver for an elderly Vermont couple has been accused of defrauding them by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account.
Jamie Gene Thompson pleaded innocent in federal court in Brattleboro on Thursday. He was indicted by a grand jury in February.
Thompson became a live-in care provider for a couple in Charlotte in 2010. He provided medical and physical assistance and transportation. He also handled some of the couple’s finances.
The indictment says that between September and October 2012, Thompson allegedly defrauded the couple by using their credit card to make about $9,000 in unauthorized purchases. He also allegedly made about $46,000 in unauthorized withdrawals from the investment account.
Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.