Former caregiver accused of fraudApril 26,2013Former caregiver accused of fraud
BRATTLEBORO — A former caregiver for an elderly Vermont couple has been accused of defrauding them by using their credit card and withdrawing from their investment account.
Jamie Gene Thompson pleaded innocent in federal court in Brattleboro on Thursday. He was indicted by a grand jury in February.
Thompson became a live-in care provider for a couple in Charlotte in 2010. He provided medical and physical assistance and transportation. He also handled some of the couple’s finances.
The indictment says that between September and October 2012, Thompson allegedly defrauded the couple by using their credit card to make about $9,000 in unauthorized purchases. He also allegedly made about $46,000 in unauthorized withdrawals from the investment account.
Thompson was arrested by FBI agents in California in March.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vt. Yankee $10M revolving fund discussed, troubles at the Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland. 0Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss some of the stories... Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.