Person drowned in PassumpsicApril 25,2013Police say person
drowned in Barnet
BARNET — Vermont State Police reported Wednesday night that a person is missing and presumed drowned after a canoe with three people aboard overturned on the Passumpsic River.
The incident took place at 2 p.m. Wednesday on the river near the junction of Comerford Dam Road and Route 5 in Barnet.
Police said two of the three people were able to swim to shore.
“The third was last seen in the river and then visual contact was lost,” police reported at about 6:30 p.m.
Rescuers searched the river banks along the river without any sign of the missing person, police said.
State police along with rescue personnel from the Calendonia-Essex Ambulance Service and the Barnet and St. Johnsbury fire departments responded to the scene. The state police Dive Team was still there Wednesday evening.
“This is being considered a recovery mission at this point,” police said in a statement. “The identity of the missing individual is being withheld pending notification of family.”MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and sports reporter Tom Haley discuss some of the stories... Full StorySPRINGFIELD - Rescue crews from Springfield and Hartford's swiftwater rescue team Tuesday morning... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Early modern humans interbred with Neanderthal people for hot nights in the old Stone Age, Veena in Dubrovnik, e.e. cummings takes early spring balloon ride.