Person drowned in PassumpsicApril 25,2013Police say person
drowned in Barnet
BARNET — Vermont State Police reported Wednesday night that a person is missing and presumed drowned after a canoe with three people aboard overturned on the Passumpsic River.
The incident took place at 2 p.m. Wednesday on the river near the junction of Comerford Dam Road and Route 5 in Barnet.
Police said two of the three people were able to swim to shore.
“The third was last seen in the river and then visual contact was lost,” police reported at about 6:30 p.m.
Rescuers searched the river banks along the river without any sign of the missing person, police said.
State police along with rescue personnel from the Calendonia-Essex Ambulance Service and the Barnet and St. Johnsbury fire departments responded to the scene. The state police Dive Team was still there Wednesday evening.
“This is being considered a recovery mission at this point,” police said in a statement. “The identity of the missing individual is being withheld pending notification of family.”MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.