Vt. House expected to approve ed funding changeApril 25,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — The Vermont House is poised to pass the first significant change in years to the state’s education funding system.
The bill the House is expected to give final approval to Thursday is designed to reduce the growth in education funding.
Vermont’s statewide education funding system uses a combination of taxes to provide a basic funding amount. Schools that opt to spend more are penalized.
One change being considered would be to reduce the penalty for schools that spend more than 25 percent above the statewide average. Over a period of time, that threshold would be reduced to 21 percent.
Bristol Rep. Dave Sharpe says the bill is a step toward reducing the growth in education spending.
But Stowe Rep. Heidi Scheuermann says she doesn’t think the bill goes far enough.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.