Man accused of trying to get police to shootApril 25,2013The Associated Press
WILLIAMSVILLE — Vermont state police responding to a report of a suicidal person have arrested a 71-year-old man accused of attempting to draw fire from them after shooting bullets from his handgun.
Welton Townsend of Williamsville has been charged with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct.
Police responded to Townsend’s home at about 6:10 p.m. Wednesday. They said a man later identified as Townsend left the home and threatened troopers with a “shootout.”
Police surrounded the home and tried to convince him to speak to them. The man began to fire rounds from a handgun into the air. Police did not fire back and the man stopped firing shots.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.